"Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church is called by our Shepherd to call others to come to and know the One who leads us to Living Waters."

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Carl Smalligan


Carl Smalligan
8/1/1929 to 6/16/2010

Most of the members of Shepherd of the Hills probably didn't know Carl and may know Grace slightly. Carl and Grace have been attending Shepherd of the Hills as winter residents, but last fall decided to make the full move from Michigan and stay in Florida full time with the hopes of being able to enjoy Florida together. Unfortunately on their way down complications occurred and Carl has been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes since last fall. Grace let me know and I began to visit Carl pretty regularly.

Getting to know Carl was a wonderful pleasure and the times we had together were enjoyable yet a reminder of how life can sometimes get in the way. Every time I would walk in to see Carl he would get a smile on his face and clap with glee. The only way I can describe it is being very similar to my son when he runs to me after being in daycare for the day. It was always uplifting. Carl had questions of faith and we would discuss those things and pray with one another. Then he would ask for communion and his favorite part was when we would begin with the brief order of confession and as I watched the words of absolution flow over him it was like heaven for him. I would have loved to spend much more time with him and I enjoyed opening up the Gospel to him and see his spirit lift. It was hard for Carl because he came down in the fall never to make it home, but going to the hospital and then a nursing home. His love was his wife and his family and he adored his wife Grace always commenting that she lived up to her name. He was heartbroken when his stepdaughter, Mary, passed after a long battle with cancer. He wanted to be able to enjoy his home, his wife, and all the comforts, but only was able to enjoy that briefly before having to go into a home again. My last time with him was when he was moved from a regular hospital room to ICU and since he couldn't really talk well with the mask and the labored breathing I read to him and went through Matins with him. Since he was unable to eat I offered him communion with the host and the blood on my finger brought to his tongue. It was what he so desired and so needed. I prayed over him and reminded him of his baptism and left not knowing that this would be the last chance I would have to commune him and pray with him. I don't know how many will miss him in the church, but I do know that I will miss him and I mourn with Grace in this time. There will not be a service for him, but I want to give this service for him as a memorial and a eulogy of a man who did mean something to me as all those that I have been called to serve do. My heart is heavy for the family and their loss, but I trust in the promises that Carl was given at his baptism and in the knowledge that he is with God and the step-daughter that was so precious to him, Mary. Carl, may you be at peace and until we meet again!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. Saying goodbye is the hardest part of ministry. Know that I will be praying for you and Carl's family as you grieve.

    Looking forward to being introduced to him someday.

    ReplyDelete